Am I mean?

So i know i said some harsh things about online dating in the post about my sister, but that was purely out of anger and irritation at the boy who robbed my sister of her v-card (yes technically she gave it to him, but to me he will always be a thief!). But in reality i have every respect for people who choose that route, its not for me, my super high anxiety level just cannot handle that. But ironically i do have an account at an online dating service that i got forever ago at the urging of a friend so that i could read something funny on her site. Yes, i know that is not what these sites are designed for, but it was free.

I only occasionally look at the emails guy send me and only then because its a little ego boost to have complete strangers telling me I'm hot. So shallow I know, but who doesn't like to hear they are hot? So I have never responded to any of the emails until the other night when I get this from a 35 year old guy:

"love to chat if i am not to old for you..i am a nice guy.and alot of fun.hope to hear from you"

I have no clue what possessed me to respond but I did:

Haha.. isn't 19 a little young for you? Unless your into that kind of thing...

: )

So i know that I sort of asked for trouble with my cheekiness, but i honestly thought i was being cute/funny. I obviously have no interest in a 35 year old man, but it was two in the morning and I was bored. This is the response i got back:

i am not a old man...i still have the time of my life.do you yhink their is something wrong with that.35 just means i can afford to do more.and woman appreciate that.girls dont always want to settle for pizza.hope to hear from you,unless your gonna be mean

There are just so many things wrong with this. What i really wanted to reply was that its obvious that he is insecure about his age and that he is hitting on girls nearly half his age. And who says mean? I was being mean? Are we in the seventh grade?

There have been a couple more emails exalting my hotness and hoping for me to answer his messages. I obviously haven't answered, and have no plans to, but I have gotten a few giggles out of it. Was i wrong to have joked with him? I really didnt mean to hurt anyones feelings, and definitely didn't mean to insinuate that he was old, but his slightly condescending and immature response annoyed me. Hmm.. maybe i am mean.

3 comments:

  Anonymous

July 13, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Haha you're not mean. But speaking of online dating, how's Ben the Bassist doing?? lol

  Sweethart

July 13, 2008 at 9:39 PM

You would bring that up. Bleh, I am so over the online dabbling. What was I thinking?

  Athena

July 13, 2008 at 10:57 PM

it's totally fair to be mean. summer and i were talking about job offers we get from people older than our grandparents (and the answer is "no. thank you. at all. ewwwwww.")
Honestly, 90% of the time, there's something a little screwed up in the head if you're going for someone that much younger than you.