Out of the mouths of babes

My nine year old niece is the most precocious child I have ever met. She is incredibly clever, and very smart. She says the darndest things. One day as we sat at the dinner table, we being myself, my niece, my sister and her husband, she innocently and inquisitively asks " what are those plastic things boys put on their penises?" She is nine. I desperately prayed for invisibility or at least the ability to sink unnoticed into the floor as my sister calmly answered her question and my brother in law tried not to giggle. I can't believe I'm really about to say this but... back in my day, we did not know about condoms at nine.

4 comments:

  Anonymous

July 14, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Wow, that's so funny. NINE? Times really are changing aren't they? But seriously...back in OUR day (oh those early '90s how I miss them) ...

  Athena

July 14, 2008 at 8:54 PM

hahahaha. oh man... I certainly didn't know about condoms at that point... I'm not sure when I figured that out.

  SP

July 15, 2008 at 3:32 AM

I think girls find out faster about things than boys. Hell, I remember us boys being chased around the playground in 3rd grade by the girls, all deathly afraid of catching 'cooties'. The girls seemed to love it...

Ok, so I'm aging myself lol...

  Rogue

July 18, 2008 at 9:35 PM

I think that's fantastic.